Frequently Asked Questions

Q : Can I bring my own refrigerator?
Ans : Yes, it must be a mini-sized refrigerator - less than 3.2 cubic feet. Residence Life works with a company to allow our residents to rent a refrigerator for the year, if that works better than purchasing one. Please check out to learn more and to order a refrigerator or refrigerator/microwave combo. They will be delivered to your residence hall room in the fall and picked up in the spring!
Q : Can I bring my own microwave?
Ans : Yes, it must be a small portable microwave, preferably 750 to 1000 watts.
Q : What is the size of the bed and do I supply my own linens?
Ans : Typical mattress size is 36 inches wide, 80 inches long, and 6 inches high. Usually, extra long twin sheets fit the best. You must supply your own mattress pad, sheets, pillow, pillow case, blanket, towels, washcloths, and any other personal toiletry items.
Mines partners with a company called OCM to provide a linens service which allows parents and students to find many products including extra long twin sheets, comforters, bath, & storage items. Go to to see the wide selection offered.
Q : What are the measurements of the room?
Ans :

Traditional Halls

  • Typical Triple - approximately 12' wide by 16' deep
  • Typical Double - approximately 12' wide by 16' deep
  • Typical Single - approximately 8' 9" wide by 16' deep

Weaver Towers (approximate sizes)

  • A Room - 9 X 14 feet ..... double
  • B Room - 8 X 10 feet ...... single
  • C Room - 8 X 10 feet ...... single
  • D Room - 9.5 X 12 feet .. double
  • E Room - 10 X 13 feet .... double
  • E Room - 8 X 14 feet ...... single
  • F Room - 7.5 X 11 feet ... R.A room
  • Common Area - 13 X 13 feet

All rooms have a desk, desk chair, bed, extra long mattress, and closet

Q : Can I loft the beds in my room?
Ans : All bed frames are either loft-able or bunk-able. 
Q : How much is a bike locker to rent?
Ans : $80.00 per semester and $30.00 for the summer. We do not have a lot of locker space, so first priority will go to folks in triple rooms, through a lottery system. Inquire about renting a bike locker at the front desk of your Residence Hall when you move in. 
Q : Can personal items be shipped in advance?
Ans :

Yes. We cannot accept items before the 10th of August. So please be thoughtful when you are shipping to us. When you ship your items, please put your name and building you will be living in on the address. 

Q : What is my mailing address?
Ans :
Have all mail and packages addressed to you in the following way:
First name Last name
Colorado School of Mines
Residence Hall, Room number
1301 19th Street
Golden, CO 80401
Q : Can furniture be moved out of the room?
Ans : No, you may disassemble your bed but it must stay in your room during the year. However, if you disassemble furniture it must be properly reassembled upon checkout of the room.You may bring your own bed, desk, or dresser, but all furniture that comes with the room must stay in the room at all times. The school does not have storage space for the furniture that belongs in the rooms.
Q : Is there storage space for boxes and trunks?
Ans : There is no storage space available for student's items outside their room, so please be very careful of what you bring to put in your room. Usually you do not need to save your boxes, as boxes are available from other sources at the end of the year, i.e. Bookstore, Safeway, Golden merchants, etc.
Q : Does the school have gun storage?
Ans : Yes, but it is not in the Residence Halls. If you plan to have a firearm or other shooting instrument or weapon while at school, you will need to contact the Mines Police Department (303) 273-3333. They have storage facilities on campus for your weapons. You will need to check on storage of ammunition with them also, or you will need to find storage for your weapons and ammunition off campus.
Q : Cost of laundry?
Ans : For students living in the Residence Halls and Mines Park, there is no cost to use the machines. However, laundry detergent is not provided.
Q : Can I bring a vehicle?
Ans : First year students living on-campus are not permitted to park on campus unless a parking permit is obtained through the lottery system or waiver process. The lottery for parking permits takes place in the summer prior to move-in. Freshmen who receive a permit through the waiver or lottery system will receive a Resident permit.
Q : What if I want to switch roommates?
Ans : You need to speak with your current roommate, Resident Assistant, Hall Director, and/or Residence Life Coordinator to begin the process. If you are having a roommate problems we will always ask you if you have talked to your roommate(s) about the issue. If you have not talked to them, they may not be aware that there is an issue and talking through a problem is a life skill that living with a roommate will encourage you to develop.
Q : Is smoking allowed in the Residence Halls?
Ans : Smoking is not allowed in any building on campus. By law, smoking outside the Residence Halls needs to be at least 25 feet from any entrance, windows or ventilation systems. Use of marijuana is prohibited by Federal Law and by school policy. There is a zero tolerance policy for drugs of any kind, including marijuana.
Q : When do I choose my meal plan?
Ans : All students living in the Residence Halls are required to have a meal plan. You have the opportunity to select your meal plan during the housing application process. The meal plan you have in the fall semester will be the same in the spring semester, unless you change that. You will have the first week of the fall and spring semesters to change your meal plan if you decide a different meal plan will better suit your needs. Information on how to change your meal plan will be sent to your Mines student email. Please visit the Mines Dining Website for more information.
Q : What electrical items can I use in my room?
Ans : Hot pots, coffee pots, irons, stereos, computers, TVs, popcorn poppers, hair dryers, curling irons, and any other unexposed heating element items. No cooking is allowed in the residence hall rooms due to the odor, pests, and fire hazards. All cooking must be done in kitchen areas of all buildings and individual units in Mines Park.
Q : What items are available at the front desk for checkout?
Ans : We have the following items: minor tools, vacuum cleaners, dust pans, brooms, buckets, mops, cleaning supplies, ironing boards and irons, cooking utensils, athletic equipment, stamps, magazines, and board games. You can also pick up your mail and packages at the front desk. If you see a need for something we do not have, please see your Resident Assistant (RA) or Community Assistant at Mines Park.
Q : Is there motorcycle parking?
Ans : Motorcycles are treated like any other vehicle on campus. First year freshmen students living on-campus are not permitted to park on campus unless a parking permit is obtained through the lottery system or waiver process. Freshmen who receive a permit through the waiver or lottery system will receive a Resident permit.

Residence Life

Department of Residence Life & Housing

Residence Life Office
Phone: (303) 869-LIFE(5433)
Toll Free: (800) 446-9488 x5433
Fax: (303) 384-2261
Location: Campus Living Office (Elm Hall)
Monday – Friday:
8 am – 6 pm

Apartments at Mines Park Office
Phone: 303-869-5444
Toll Free: (800) 446-9488 x5444
Location: Community Center 2 at Mines Park
Monday – Friday:
8 am – 7 pm

Addressing mail to students living on campus
First and Last Name
Colorado School of Mines
Name of Residence Hall and Room number
1301 19th Street
Golden, CO 80401